логотип Энциклопедия Забайкалья
  • О проекте
  • Организаторы и участники
  • Энциклопедия
  • Иллюстрации
  • Книжная полка
  • Авторы
  • ОКН
  • Помощь
О проекте
Энциклопедия Забайкалья Малая ЭЗ Библиотека ЭЗ Предварительные материалы Электронный проект ЭЗ
Организаторы и участники Энциклопедия Иллюстрации Книжная полка Авторы ОКН Помощь
  • Каталог ОКН /
  • с. Кондуй /
  • Церковь

Church

RU ENG ZH
Church. Borzinsky District, Kondui Village. 2012. Photo from the website of the Ministry of Culture of the Russian Federation. Unified State Register of Cultural Heritage Sites (EGROKN).

Kondui Church.

Church of the Nativity of the Most Holy Theotokos and the Holy Martyrs Kyrikos and Oulitta.

Object Type

  • Monument

Monument Type

  • Monument of Urban Planning and Architecture

Heritage Category

  • Federal Heritage Monument

Designation Decree

Decree of the President of the Russian Federation No. 176 "On the Approval of the List of Objects of Historical and Cultural Heritage of Federal (All-Russian) Significance," dated February 20, 1995.

Address

Kondui Village, Borzinsky District

Date of Creation

1806

Researchers

1925, A.K. Kuznetsov 

1979, 1984, N.P. Kradin 

2004, Expedition of the Institute of History, Archaeology, and Ethnography of the Peoples of the Far East, Far Eastern Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, A.R. Artemyev

Description

«Fragments from the Kondui Townsite, whose ruins lie near the present-day village, were reused as building materials for the church. . The church was erected by  local residents with the permission of the Most Holy Synod and Bishop Veniamin of Irkutsk and Nerchinsk. Decorative elements from the ruins -specifically dragon-like sculptures and the column bases from the palace- were incorporated into the church’s construction. These elements were set into  the façades: 19 on the north, 13 on the east, 18 on the south, and 14 on the west. They are all arranged in two rows: a lower one along the plinth, and an upper one midway up the wall in specially formed niches. In total, 34 elements appear in the lower, supra-plinth row, and 30 in the upper. The lower band encircles the entire church, including the side chapel. The upper band forms a semicircular pattern: starting from the altar end of the southern side chapel, it continues across the chapel, runs along the remainder of the south facade and the west facade; on the north, it appears only on the refectory wall. The upper band is absent on the altar portion of the church. It is also missing on the north facade of the main volume. Granite blocks that once served as palace column bases are set into the plinth. Projecting outward as circular bosses, they mark the building’s corners and the bases of the pilasters.  In  his study of the Kondui antiquities, A.K. Kuznetsov observed that the Cossacks’ houses and the stone church, of ‘rather clumsy architecture,’ occupied a beautiful elevated site. All this is indeed evident;nevertheless, the contrast between the low, compressed, entrance/refectory and the high, light-filled main volume can be read as an effective compositional device.These decorative elements from the medieval palace of a Mongol khan, preserved within the church walls, hold significant scholarly and artistic value». 

Kradin N.P. Kondui Church // Small Encyclopedia of Transbaikalia. Archeology / ed.-in-chief R.F. Geniatulin. - Novosibirsk: Science 2011. - P. 172-173.

Tourist Routes

  • Included
  • Recommended

References

  1. Church //Unified State Register of Cultural Heritage Sites (EGROKN). URL: https://opendata.mkrf.ru/opendata/7705851331-egrkn/63/417130  (accessed: Sept 20, 2025.).

  2. Kradin N.P. Kondui Church // Small Encyclopedia of Transbaikalia. Archaeology / ed.-in-chief R.F. Geniatulin. - Novosibirsk: Science, 2011. - P. 172-173. 

  3. 3. Kradin N.P., Tsyrenzhapova D.E. Church of the Nativity of the Most Holy Theotokos and the Holy Martyrs Kyrikos and Oulitta // Small Encyclopedia of Transbaikalia: Architecture and Construction / ed.-in-chief  N.N. Zhdanova. - Novosibirsk: Science, 2016. - P. 442-443.

  4. Tsyrenzhapova D.E. Church of the Nativity of the Most Holy Theotokos // Small Encyclopedia of Transbaikalia: Culture: Part 2: M-Ya / ed.-in-chief R.F. Geniatulin. - Novosibirsk: Science, 2009. - P. 346. 5. Kondui. Church of the Nativity of the Most Holy Theotokos. URL https://ruskontur.com/konduj-czerkov-rozhdestva-presvyatoj-bogorodiczy/?ysclid=mfp0me60d0244060551 (accessed: 20 Septmber, 2025.)

В этот день 17 марта

Родился И.В.Асеев
В 1940 году родился И.В.Асеев, докт. ист. наук (1997).
Учрежден войсковой праздник ЗКВ
В 1891 году учрежден войсковой праздник ЗКВ
Открылся ОПНД
В 1950 году открылся Диспансер психоневрологический областной Диспансер психоневрологический областной
Родилась Л.П.Ищукова
В 1925 году родилась Л.П.Ищукова, геолог, засл. геолог РСФСР (1979), докт. геол.-мин. наук (1980), почетный гражданин Краснокаменска (1994)
Родился Д.Н.Норбоев
В 1936 году родился Д.Н.Норбоев, засл. тренер РСФСР по стрельбе из лука (1985), мастер спорта междунар. класса (1973).
Родился П.А.Орлов
В 1912 году родился П.А.Орлов, сов.-партийный работник
Родился А.А.Семёнов
В 1920 году родился А.А.Семёнов, полковник внутренней службы
Родился П.К.Абрамкин
В 1950 году родился П.К.Абрамкин, водитель троллейбуса
Родился О.П.Хмелёв
В 1972 году родился О.П.Хмелёв, Герой Сов. Союза
  • О проекте
  • Организаторы и участники
  • Энциклопедия
  • Иллюстрации
  • Книжная полка
  • Авторы
  • ОКН
  • Помощь